Mother’s Day, according to Wikipedia, is a day set aside to honor the mother in a family. Not them alone, but anyone who fits in the role of maternal motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of the mothers in society.
The iconic day is celebrated on several days across the year, all around the globe; and we have noticed it is mostly celebrated on the month of March or the month of May. In Singapore, the Mother’s Day celebration falls on Sunday, 9th of May 2021. This is a time for families to be together, a time where some husband and kids make the woman/women in their lives the center of attention by getting them gifts such as flowers, cards, or even surprising them with breakfast in bed.
So, why do we celebrate Mother’s Day? Singaporean, why make a fuss about this year’s edition? Below are 9 reasons we ought to celebrate the mother’s in our lives
The celebration of motherhood and mothers have occurred throughout the world for thousands of years. From the annual spring festival where the ancient Greeks celebrated Rhea, the wife of Cronus, who according to the Greek Mythology was the mother of many deities, and to the Hilaria spring festival of ancient Romans, in recognition of Cybele, who was also considered a mother goddess and right down to around the 17th century, where mothering Sunday’s rituals was developed in the UK; the custom of celebrating the virgin, Mary. This and many more have led to the celebration of what we now know as mother’s day today.
- Modern Holiday
In 1908, at St Andrew’s Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia, the world witnessed the first celebration of modern-day Mother’s Day as a memorial service for Anna Jarvis’s mother was held. Since then, St Andrew’s Methodist Church now holds the International Mother’s day shrine. In the year 1905, Jarvis began her great campaign in the USA to make the Mother’s Day celebration a recognized holiday. This year is also the same when her mother died, her name was Ann Reeves Jarvis.
Anna Jarvis simply took up her mother’s cause, who cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the civil war. She was a peace activist and the founder of Mother’s Day Work Clubs, a platform for addressing public health challenges. Anna believes that mothers are worth celebrating because they are “the ones who have done more for you than anyone in the world.” Through her efforts in continuing her mom’s work, a day was set aside to celebrate all mothers around the world.
- Opportunity To Be Appreciative And To Show Our Mothers Love
Mothers and every mother figure in our lives are worth appreciating every day for all they have done for us, taking out a special day like the second Sunday of the month of May every year to declare nothing but our love to these vessels through which we exist. These vessels that sacrificed everything to make sure we don’t go to bed hungry are worth making a fuss about. So, how do we show our mothers love:
- Personal phone calls, particularly from children who live away from their mothers and/or mother figures, will go a long way.
- Heartfelt Mother’s Day poems and messages.
- Gifts of chocolate, jewelry, accessories, clothing, hobby equipment or tools, handmade items, or gift vouchers.
- A day at the movies with mothers and/or mother figures.
- Buying our mothers beautiful flowers (link it to https://beato.com.sg/), getting the cards, or even cake.
- Family Gatherings
- Mother’s Day celebration is a great time to bring together families who have grown apart to start out their own individual families or relocate to another city or even work. This is one opportunity of spending quality time with members of your family, whether having a quality family breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner either at home, at a café, or at a restaurant. Or spending time at the park. These are moments that don’t come often and, as such, should be cherished.
- Bonding Experience
- Not every time we get to have a Q & A session with our mom, to get to know them better. Most of the time, we get to know that our mothers are more fun, adventurous than we perceived them to be during bonding moments like this. We even get to know about some of the struggles they went through and the sacrifices they made when they had us. We get to see their hearts in moments like this through the compassion emanating from their eyes of love for us. We equally learn how wild and strong-headed they are, which can be a pointer to why we were that way. In bonding with our mothers on this special day, we get to know more about ourselves.
- The Economy
- Mother’s impacts extend to the nation’s economy not only just in Singapore but around the world. On this day, Churches raise more funds for various projects just to honor our mothers while merchants sell more specific and even generic items like flowers, gift cards, etc. The impact of the mother’s day celebration on the economy is just too overwhelming.
- Celebration of Women in General
- Celebration of Mother’s Day creates an avenue for us to reach out to all the women in our lives and let them know how important they’re to us and how grateful we are to have them with us. It’s a celebration that reminds us of the gift of womanhood.
- Guide for the rest of the year
- Having a day set aside for the celebration of mothers should help see their importance. This should motivate us to pamper, respect, and honor them every day and not just one time in a year. If the only time we declare our love for the women in our lives is on the second Sunday of the month of May every year, then that declaration of love should be checked. It is like having a friend who only remembers you is when he has a need; would you truly say that individual is your friend?. This can be likened to a one-day celebration, after which we don’t care anymore. Mother’s Day Celebration should serve as a standard for honoring daily the women in our lives.
Every woman is an icon and deserves to be celebrated as such. As women/mothers, this special celebration should be worthwhile and memorable. We should always seek the opportunity to put a smile on their faces as often as we can.