We all love the fragrance of flowers and their brightly colored petals that boost the mood a thousand more times; however, this fragile beauty does not have a long life. People always try to find new ways to keep them alive for much longer as cut flowers need proper care. Some people like to buy flowers sometime before to save their time for the occasion. And if you are also thinking of buying flowers the day before then it’s a ‘BIG YES’ because you can simply preserve those flowers for the night by following our easy methods that will ensure the longevity of your flowers.
Give Your Stems a Fresh Cut
After buying the bouquet, the first thing you need to do after reaching home is cut the stems to allow them to absorb some fresh water. You can use your garden tool to trim in a slightly curved way so that flowers do not stand straight in the glass vase. Make sure to cut at least one inch from the bottom and let them hydrate in water for a brighter bloom.
Fresh Water and a Clean Vase
Take a container then clean it properly with warm water and fill it with some fresh water (a glass vase of decent size is preferable). Large vases are used by florists for flowers to soak water properly as they allow every stem to breathe without being crowded. Before putting the stems into the water make sure that the water is at room temperature.
Keep Flowers Away from Sun and Heat
Flowers are very vulnerable to high temperatures and direct sunlight as they stay alive longer in a cool climate. Avoid any place that has space for sunlight or hot air like windows, ceiling fans, and heaters as they can quickly make stems dry. You can also use a spray to sprinkle some water before leaving on the top of the petals so they look fresh.
Use the Right Amount of Water for Hydration
As you are going to leave flowers in water overnight for about 10-12 hours or more, it is important to measure the quantity of water you are adding to the vase. If you fill it to the top then there is a risk of flowers decaying. Fill the ⅔ part of the vase with water so that it doesn’t reach the scale and warm water is better to be used.
8 Incredible Ways to Keep Flowers Fresh & Last Longer
- Aspirin – We all keep aspirin as a common pain reliever in our medical box at home but did you know that it can help to keep your flowers fresh and protected from bacteria that your water might have. So, you can crush an aspirin tablet and mix it well in the water as it will decrease the pH level of the water while keeping it fresh for a longer period.
- Coins – We use the copper coins in our daily lives to buy things but have you tried to preserve your flowers with them? These copper coins can also buy some for flowers to remain firm and bloom for a prolonged time. Just put one penny on the bottom before setting your flowers in a vase as its acidic properties will keep flowers from wilting.
- Flower Food – Apart from all the home solutions you also have an expert suggested method to save your flowers fresh. You can find it at any grocery store whereas florists usually give it flowers. You can mix it in water to treat flowers overnight and when you wake up in the morning you will find your flowers as fresh as yesterday.
- Soda – You can use any clear soda or cold drink like Sprite to add a few more days of life to your pretty bunch of cut flowers. Take ¼ glass of soda mix it in the water and let it stay until you have to change the water or take them away. The sweet flavor of soda will sustain your flowers from fading and stay hydrated for a long duration.
- Vodka – Keeping vodka at home for upcoming parties or get-togethers? Just take the bottle out and pour some drops of it into the water. Vodka has the essential properties that will nourish your flowers and help fight bacteria that surround the water. This secret recipe of flower keeping has proven results as vodka restores the freshness of flowers.
- Fridge – Have you seen those huge commercial refrigerators in the warehouses of florists? Yes, they use fridges to keep their blooms alive and fresh for a detailed period. Flowers are likely to be in a cool environment and lower temperature areas. Place every stem delicately into the refrigerator to find them fresh and beautiful the next morning.
- Bleach – This is a popular method to increase the vitality of your fresh-cut flowers because bleach has disinfectant properties that keep water and plants safe from bacteria. You can take about ¼ tablespoon of bleach in 1 Litre of water which will keep flowers from attracting any dirt or dullness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar & Sugar – Keeping your cut flowers in vinegar and sugar for the next 8 hours until you leave for the occasion sounds a good idea. A mixture of vinegar and sugar will preserve the stems from withering while making them look freshly filled with life. You can use lukewarm water to stir the mixture for better water intake in stems.
Now we have given full disclosure of how you can protect the life of flowers for a longer period. You can buy your flowers before the function without much consideration as you have all the methods to make them look fresh and beautiful anytime. You can try all these tips at your home as they are safe for use and most of them are made of natural substances. So let the fragrance of flowers take the heart of your loved ones with their bright colors and tenderness.